In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Mexico Historical Society

Porter Covered Bridge, 1870

Contributed by Mexico Historical Society
MMN Item 80936 Item Details
Porter Covered Bridge, 1870
MMN Item 80936 Zoom


The bridge that crossed the Swift River in Hale was swept away in the freshet of 1870. A covered bridge was built to replace it the same year. It was located a short way above the house of Fred Porter, in a place on the Swift River that was considered more accessible to Rumford and Mexico. A cheese factory operated by George Richards was located nearby, and on the opposite side of the bridge was a small district schoolhouse.

Porter Bridge was demolished in an ice tornado in November, 1900. In 1901, after much controversy it was agreed that a high steel framework bridge should take its place, and the Red Bridge was built further downstream.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.